Re: RHEL3 - Only one CPU seen with hyperthreading

On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 11:47, Peter Kiem wrote:

> > > I think he may have disabled hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Ahhh...follow your own thread.  :-) :-)

Remember you booted without hyperthreading enabled to see if there was a
difference in the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo?  How did you do that?  I
suspected you had to disable this in your BIOS to test since you didn't
know what Jason was talking about when he suggested the parameter he
did.

> No it is definately enabled in the BIOS and I haven't changed any BIOS
> settings since I tried FC1 which it was working with.

So, how did you get the differences in the cat /proc/cpuinfo?

> > Good point.  Peter, you can either add it to your /etc/grub.conf
> > (symlink to /boot/grub/grub.conf) or add it during the boot process.  To
> > add it to your grub file, you'll want to change the relevant kernel line
> > so it looks something like this:
> >
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-4.ELsmp ro root=LABEL=/ acpismp=force
> >
> > Or, you can add the option from the grub menu at boot.  When the grub
> > menu comes up, hit "e" to enter edit mode.  Cursor to the kernel line
> > and hit "e" again.  Add "acpismp=force" to the end of the line.  Hit
> > enter.  Hit "b" to boot.
>
> Ok thanks for the instructions, never had to do that before :)
>
> Tried it but it didn't work :(  Same results as before.
>
> I have however had a closer look in /var/log/messages and there is an
> ominous log entry that I missed seeing before
>
> kernel: SMP motherboard not detected.
>
> Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Ah, hah.  One may have to ask the question as to why the SMP kernel was
chosen in the first place.  Maybe you are getting some of the benefits
of the SMP kernel even though it isn't apparent.  I have a true SMP
motherboard so my experience is totally different.

Maybe you need to check bugzilla to see if others are
reporting/complaining about this....

Ed

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.