RE: Looking for Gerry Doris--SMTP AUTH Questions

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 16:35, Corey Head wrote:
> Yup!  Definitely have the clients setup correctly to use SMTP
> Authentication, using same as pop server.  Clients I've tried are Outlook,
> Outlook Express, Netscape Mail, Entourage, Mac Mail.  When I turn
> Authentication off on one of the clients, I get the message back at the
> client "Server Requires Authentication" or some such message, depending on
> the client.  When Authentication is on with the client, the client gets "The
> SMTP server rejected the password for user "user".  Please Re-enter your
> password or cancel" or some such message, depending on the client.  This is
> what makes me think the password is not actually getting through somehow.
> Am I right to think pam or sasl or do you think this may still be a sendmail
> config problem?
>
> THANKS!
> Corey

OK, I upgraded a box from RH 9 to Fedora last weekend and that moved
sendmail up to 8.12.10.  I just noticed that I was getting some of the
same symptoms you've been seeing.

When I checked my /var/log/maillog I saw that it was complaining about
an unsafe /etc/aliases.db file.  I wasn't able to run the following
command as root...I got a permission denied???

makemap hash /etc/aliases < /etc/aliases

I had to remove the existing aliases.db file first and then it worked.
I also had the same problem with /etc/mail/access.db.  I had to remove
the existing access.db and then rerun the makemap command to recreate
it.

After that all has been working.  Please check those files and let me
know what happens.

--
Gerry Doris <gdoris@xxxxxxxxxx>