From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Gerry Doris
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2003 1:10 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Looking for Gerry Doris--SMTP AUTH Questions

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Corey Head wrote:

> Connected to fresca (127.0.0.1).
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10/8.12.10; Sat, 20 Dec 2003
> 11:22:57 -0800
> ehlo yosa
> 250-localhost.localdomain Hello fresca [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-SIZE
> 250-DSN
> 250-ETRN
> 250-AUTH DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-DELIVERBY
> 250 HELP
>
> The line is there that suggests I'm getting AUTH working--right?  But when
> client asks for authentication, the maillog sends:
>
> Dec 19 16:39:04 fresca sendmail[28036]: hBK0d4mS028036: [192.168.1.103]
did
> not issue MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN during connection to MTA
>
> And the client is asked over and over to re-enter the username and
password.
> Could this have something to do with pam or sasl instead of sendmail?
>
> Thanks!
> Corey

>From what I can see you do have auth working.  It appears you have
something wrong at the client end.

The MAIL/EXPN/VRFY/ETRN line shows up if someone connects to your server
but doesn't follow through with the handshaking.  You'll see it after you
telnet to port 25, issue the ehlo command and then exit.  It looks like
your client connects but isn't talking properly to the server.

Are you sure you've setup your mail client to use authentication?  What
client are you using and what have you done to its configuration to enable
authentication?

--
Gerry

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer