Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server

On December 19, 2003 11:48 pm, Julian Opificius wrote:
> I believe you do, Bob.
> I have ports 20 & 21 open for TCP and UDP on my Cisco 678's DSL modem's
> firewall, and have ftp working correctly.
> Though my memory is a little faded, I'm sure I wouldn't have opened it all
> up  unless I needed to.
>
> j.
> =========================
>
> At 12:57 AM 12/20/03, you wrote:
> >Pete,
> >
> >One more question.  Do I need to enable udp for the ftp connection?  I'm
> >looking at the /etc/services file and it mentions both tcp and udp against
> >the FTP port numbers.
> >
> >-Bob
> >
> >>Follow up:  I am able to FTP out from the server.  I don't know if that
> >>helps.

FTP'ing out from a machine is totally unrelated to the ftp service on the
machine. So you still should try "ftp localhost" (or use the ip if that
fails) to connect from the servers ftp client to the servers ftp service. It
is a good test to make sure ftp is accepting connections.

The /etc/service file often shows tcp/udp for a service, but you do not need
udp for ftp. You can confirm that by looking at your init.d file for the ftp
server, it will show stream for tcp services (dgram or datagramfor udp).

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce