From: Andre Kirchner [mailto:supercroc1974@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2003 11:13 AM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: kernel 2.6 instalation questions [ newbie ]

Andre Kirchner wrote:

    Hi,

    I would like to be able to choose to boot the
    2.4.20-24.9 or 2.6.0 kernel when I start my
computer.
    I have sucessfuly compiled the 2.6 kernel, but I
don't
    know what to do now.
    The /boot directory has the files
config-2.4.20-24.9
    initrd-2.4.20-24.9.img
    module-info-2.4.20-24.9
    System.map-2.4.20-24.9
    vmlinux-2.4.20-24.9
    vmlinuz-2.4.20-24.9
    but I just found the System.map-2.6.0 and
    vmlinux-2.6.0.
    How can I can the missing files? Or if I just add
    System.map-2.6.0 and vmlinux-2.6.0 to /boot, and
    create modify grub.conf will be enough?

  You should be doing a "make install_modules install
             step". This should install your kernel,
and modify your     grub.conf. Be sure you have a boot
floppy, or redhat     cdrom handy (linux rescue).
  --
  There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
  Merely hardware that other people don't want.

Hi,

I tried to excute "make install_modules install
       step" in the /usr/src/linux-2.6.0 directory
where the source are installed, but it didn't work
because there was no rule to make target
'install_modules'.
Do I need to create this rule, or I just excute make
in the wrong place and so it didn't find the rules? If
so, where should I excute it?

Thanks,

Andre