Re: switching WMs, and request for recommendations

At 10:56 PM 12/18/03, you wrote:
On December 18, 2003 08:38 pm, Julian Opificius wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Dumb newbie question:-
> I switched to TVM, and don't know how to switch back to using Gnome or KDE.
> Is there a simple command line util for this, or do I have to roll up my
> pants and wade in to X11?
>
> I'll browse through my history of this list for recommendations for a
> lighter weight WM that'll run on a 266MHz machine, but if anyone has any
> recommendations, I'd appreciate that too.
>
> Also, I want to set up an regular backup mechanism using re-writable CDs.
> Does anyone have a recommendation for a CD-burner package (command line is
> OK) that would work in this situation? I was hoping for some thing that
> would support read/write as regular volume, like HP created for Windows
> machines. I can handle the cron scheduling myself.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> julian.

Hi Julian,
Just type "switchdesk KDE" (or GNOME or...) to change desktops.

thanks - works a treat.

For the cd burning, you will probably script your way through a few utilities,
but cdrecord will probably do the bulk of what your after. It is likely
already installed. "man cdrecord"

Got it. Thanks. And a brief Google search has pointed me to a few scripts I can work from.

If the 266 had a good video card & decent ram, and you have a fast primary
machine, you could just run remote X.
The only other machines on the LAN are a Mac (OS-X), a Win-98 box and a XP Home edition.

Maybe the OS-X could be a remote X server ?

Julian.

============================== Julian A. Opificius. 802 Fawn Road, Elk River, MN 55330. Home: 763.441.1291, Cell: 612.296.2010 julianop@xxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 3268206 ==============================