Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server

Craig,

I'll look into this in a little while. It looks like a viable alternative.

However, I think I may have found the problem. I was surfing about 1pm local, and found an errata listing for vsftpd and RH9. It seems that there were two packaged sets that went out without vsftpd being compiled against tcp-wrappers. There's an RPM available to fix that problem, so I'm going to apply that RPM first and see if that solves the problem.

Thanks everyone for your input.

-Bob

Craig Daters wrote:

Hello

I don't know much about your network setup, but I would suggest that you
look into SmoothWall (http://www.smoothwall.net) as a firewall solution.
This is a very robust linux based software firewall solution we use here
that is very easy to configure. It will run on older discarded hardware as
it has very little overhead. They have a GPL version available for download
as an .iso that we used for the longest time, before we bought into their
Corporate version, at http://www.smoothwall.org. This is still a very robust
configurable firewall and will give you an idea if the more advanced version
is worth the money.

I present this to you for what it is worth, because it is so tailored to
your configuration. I too use VSFTP, and I have all of my Internet servers
set up in SmoothWall's DMZ. In the case of my FTP server, Passive mode is
used and all the appropriate port accesses and port forwards are set up in
SmoothWall, using a web gui that can't be any simpler to use.

We happen to use Corporate Server 3.0 with the SmoothRule, and SmoothHost
modules to police network usage in-house and allow us the ability to manage
our multiple FQDN IP's via Smoothwall. I used to do all of this by hand, but
this is so much easier to use and visual.

On 12/17/03 10:05 PM, "Bob Smith" <slyders@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> spoke thusly: