From: Dege, Robert C. [mailto:robert.dege@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 9:06 AM
To: 'redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: RE: No /usr/src/linix directory

Read my inserts:

> sh patchin.sh /usr/src/linux
>
> The problem is that there is no /linux directory.

You need to install the kernel source for /usr/src/linux to appear.
Look
for a package like kernel-source-...

> I tried to install the kernel from the cd with
>
> rpm -i kernel-2.4.7-10.i386.rpm
>
> and it returns
>
> package already installed

You system wouldn't boot without the kernel.  This package places the
vmlinuz & System maps in /boot.

> I then ran
>
> rpm -ql kernel-2.4.7-10.i386.rpm
>
> and it returns
>
> package kernel-2.4.7.i386.rpm not installed.

Do get a list of files on an rpm already installed:
# rpm -ql kernel-2.4.7-10
(notice, you're listing the package name, not the file name)

Do get a list of file on an rpm file:
#rpm -qpl kernel-2.4.7-10.i386.rpm
(here is where you list the file name, notice the -p parameter passed to
the
rpm command).

-Rob