prob with sound

hi all! i am running redhat 9 on my system. i have 2 sound cards
>Intel 82801 BA/BAM AC'97 Audio
>Creative ensoniq ES-1371

During installation, both were recognised, and i chose the creative card
as my primary audio device. Sound worked fine from sound events, but
when i tried to play an audio cd, the cd player opened and showed as playing, but no sound would come out from the speakers. This was the
prob only with audio cds. so, i installed the latest realone player. upon installation, it played fine and even audio cds were now playing.

three hours later when i put on my system and tried to play an audio cd,
it wouldn't play at all. and realplayer hung. since then for the past 5
days, there has been no sound on my system. everytime i open realplayer
it justs hangs. i opened soundcard detection and tried to play the test
sound, but no sound plays. when i try to access /dev/dsp, it returns an
error saying device is busy. it seems like some program has taken
control of the sound device and is not releasing it. how can i rectify
this prob?? any suggesstions?