how do you tell the dump command not to rewind the tape

hi all
quick question,

I've got a rh 8 system here with a scsi tape drive. Basically I'm using /dbin/dump to perform full or partial dumps.

By default dump rewinds the tape before writing to it. I want to write /usr, /etc to 1 tape and /data onto another tape.

On solaris you just write to a different /dev device and dump will append to the end of the last written file.

Is there an equivalent for linux /sbin/dump?
do you rewind the tape and then wind it forward till the eofd marker ( or equivalent? )

And finally,

If 0 is a full dump and 1 - 9 are incremental dumps, what's the difference between the different levels?

TIA
Alex

Sent using Mulberry 3.01a