Re: Network profiler

On Wednesday 17 December 2003 11:24, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've got two networks, both with onward connections, which are
> joined together by a leased-line.
>
> This line should now be only be approx 25% utilised, but
> performance accross the link has dropped significantly lately.
>
> Bearing in mind that I have very little network analysis
> experience, could people suggest apps that will help me find the
> problem.
>
> I have a laptop running RH7.3+errata which I can plug into hubs
> connected to each of the routers.
> --
> Gary Stainburn

If you can monitor each of your switches via snmp, the mrtg program
can be a good tool to watch traffic volumes at each switch port.

Using tcpdump and snort together can show typical problem traffic and
you can write your own snort rules to filter for any traffic you want
to identify.

Ntop will give you traffic breakdowns of type and indentify addresses
involved.  It will also read binary tcpdump files for traffic data
analysis.

Regards, Mike Klinke