Re: Question on Internet access of vsftp server

On December 17, 2003 09:05 pm, Bob Smith wrote:
> Hi.  I'm running Red Hat 9 on an internet facing server, and have
> chosen vsftp as the FTP server.  The system is firewalled using
> IP tables, and has ports open for FTP service (20 and 21).
>
> Currently I can access the FTP server on the box, but not from the
> Internet.  I had the same configuration when I was building the local
> box on the network and was able to FTP from other machines on my
> local network.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make vsftp accessible
> via the Internet?  So far my other firewall openings are working for
> the servers they represent, it's just this one.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Bob Smith

Hi Bob,
If you are only opening 20 & 21 then you need to be using active (not passive)
ftp. Generally passive is preffered as it uses some-what random ports to
listen on for the data channel. The problem is that you must open a number of
ports thru the firewall. Have a look in iptable (netfilter) for an ftp module
to use with passive ftp (I think you use the match arg to allow 'related').
>From inside your network you are probably using relaxed rules so your
machines can access the server via passive ftp.

active vs passive ftp:
http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

iptables/netfilter:
http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO.html