Re: how do you tell the dump command not to rewind the tape

On 10:17 17 Dec 2003, Jason Dixon <jason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 09:59, Alex Sharaz wrote:
| > I've got a rh 8 system here with a scsi tape drive. Basically I'm using
| > /dbin/dump to perform full or partial dumps.
|
| Assuming you're dumping to /dev/st0, use /dev/nst0 instead.

Just to explain, this works because the "st0" device is "rewind on close" and
the "nst0" device is "don't rewind on close". Dump itself isn't saying
anything special to the device.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

In domestic arguments the confusion of objectives between winning and trying to
solve a problem, is an unnatural feminist plot. Real men know that problems are
fixed with hammers, wrenches and tools that can be heard three streets away,
and that the whole damn point of having an argument is to try to win.
        - Mike Holmes <fofp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>