Re: password confirmation

Quick SU(1) man page reveals;

su <user>  will switch to <user> but keep the shell you are currently logged
in as
su --shell=SHELL <user> will switch to <user> and invoke SHELL

You probably did su <user> which is why it kept the login shell instead of
running /bin/false.

As an aside, I've always been in the habit of using su - <user> as when a
user calls me about a problem it's easier for me to debug when I can invoke
user's shell and shell settings.

:)

Cheers-
Ben

I was able to su to a user with a shell of '/bin/false' successfully and
continue working with the new users permissions.  Does the shell even get
changed after an 'su'?

I got the Perl script working great.  And was even inspired by it to do a
'man crypt'!  Which immediately brought to mind another 1/2 dozen
questions... but I'd better stick with the task at hand for now.

The 'checkpassword' program that I downloaded seems to be more of a utility
to use in conjunction with other programs such as POP toasters that need to
access user accounts.