Re: HELP Cant boot FreeBSD from GRUB (rh9)

On December 12, 2003 11:27 am, reg@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >>         root (hd0,1,a)
> >
> > should be:
> > root (hd0,a)  [or maybe  (hd0,0,a)]
> > because the second field, if present, indicates the FreeBSD slice, and a
> > 1
>
> I dont think so.
> The first field is the disk, hd0
> the second field (if there are three) is the partition, which is the 2nd
>     partition in this case.
> The third field is the slice within the partition, and this is 'a', the
> first slice.
>
> Am I missing something?

Did you try it? Again, I am just looking in the article in Linux Mag.
According to the article (the way I read it) GRUB uses that second field to
identify which FreeBSD slice (if 3 field values present), not just the total
partion count so if FreeBSD is on the second partition it would still be
considered "0", not "1" as you would expect.

Here is what it actually says:
FreeBSD calls a Primary Partition a Slice, and then breaks the slice into
sub-partitions which it calls partitions.
Grub gives FreeBSD partitions letters starting with 'a'.
"For instance (hd1,a) refers to the first partition in whatever slice holds
the FreeBSD partition on the second physical disk. If necessary you can also
specify a slice number between the drive number and the FreeBSD partition
name, as in (hd1,1,a) which refers to the first partition in the second slice
on the second physical disk (what FreeBSD calls /dev/ad1s2a). In most cases,
the shorter form suffices, but if GRUB has problems locating the FreeBSD
slice, you can use the longer form."

--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce