Re: GNOME problem

On Sat, 2003-12-13 at 02:39, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I posted this problem to the Fedora list a few weeks ago, but no one
> gave me a very helpful answer.  I have two PCs, let's call them PC-A and
> PC-B.  PC-A has RH9 complete install running X-windows and GNOME (which
> someone else is using at the moment.)  PC-B has X-windows and GNOME
> running, but its hard drive is a lot smaller, so it doesn't have the RH9
> complete install - just the bare bones.  How can I use PC-B to log onto
> PC-A in GNOME and have my panels/desktop/everything available from
> PC-B?  ssh will allow you to run individual programs, but I want the
> desktop and panels too.  Is this possible, and if so, how do I do it?

you say you have gnome on both, and ssh allows you to run individual
programs, so it sounds to me like you have everything you need.  run
your gnome desktop locally, run ssh in a terminal, and launch whatever
apps you don't have locally via the ssh commandline.

on the other hand, if pertinent pieces of gnome are missing from the
local machine, or if you just wanna launch from a menu instead of from
the commandline, then run vncserver via ssh, and run vncviewer locally.

-g
--
http://gnuleaf.net -- a new lease on life for stranded red hatters