Mounting proc filesystem fails on boot.

Hello
	I have a rh8.0 system that is failing on boot with the following
message:

	Mounting proc filesystem:  dup2: Bad file descriptor

	and puts me in check filesystem mode.  All fileysystems fsck
cleanly.  The system was up for a few months and was turned off by a user
which lead to this situation.

	The 'dup2:.." appears on each attempt to process one of the
'services' file (/etc/init.d/*) during bootup, but since it appears in the
mounting of proc (the first message) I was able to track it down to
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit script on the line containing:

	action $"Mounting proc filesystem: " mount -n -t proc /proc /proc

The 'action' is defined in /etc/init.d/functions.  I've have tried the
command and get the
same dup2 error.  If I just do the 'mount' part of the command the /proc
file system mount
with no error.  So it appears to be something in action() and I narrowed it
down to the
initlog(8) command which when I do a:

	initlog -c ls

I get the dup2: Bad file descriptor.  But I'm at a dead end.  There is no
clue in the
/etc/initlog.conf file, and no real help in dup2(2) man page, except I'm
assumming that error returned is EBADF from dup2, but where is the number of
file descriptors defined?

Bottom line, has anyone ran into this problem and have a solution?
Thanks.
~smbinyon

Steve Binyon
System Administrator