Recommended tool for doing Linux system dumps

What should I be using to do full system dumps of a RedHat Linux system
these days? I've been blithely using 'dump', but I've only just discovered
that this is a no-no. Other tools I've used have other problems (i.e. in
older version of 'tar', I know that sparse files had their "holes" filled
in with zeros, and I'm still not exactly sure what 'tar' does with device
special files... same for any other tool).

I want to be able to do a full restore of a working system directly from
a backup set of some kind, including all protections being put back the
way they were, device special files being properly restored, symlinks
remaining symlinks, and sparse files retaining their exact original
format (and who knows what else I'm not thinking of right now).

Is something like gtar smart enough to do this these days? Can cpio do it?
Am I missing a tool here?

Thanks,
Ken