RH9 behind hardware firewall

I already setup my mail server running RH9, sendmail and squirrelmail and also i already configured my hardware firewall to redirect all access from universe to my mail server, my problem is when I accessing my mail server from my workstation behind the firewall and my incoming server set to mail.my-server.com it said that "The connection to serve has failed" and when i change it to the alias of the mail server it works well. What supposed to be the problem? Did I forgot to install or configure some procedure that my mail server needed?

Please answer my question...

Thanks

Do you Yahoo!?