RE: Security Issues....

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 12:11, bruce wrote:

> We're looking for what has to be done to set up a secure environment for a
> development process.

Define "secure".  :-)

If you create your users with unique uid/gid values (as is the default
when adding users) they will be generally restricted from writing to any
area other than what is below their home directory starting point.  Yes,
they will have access to /tmp.

They could write and execute their programs just fine as long as they
aren't writing code that needs a higher level of system access.  For
example, if they are writing code where they needed to bind to the
network card on port 44 then they would need a higher level of access,
a.k.a. root, and this can be dangerous...and is certainly insecure.

So, don't give your users root access and they would have to try really
hard to muck up your systems.

Ed

> Thanks
>
> -Bruce
> bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.