Re: Setting up mail server RH9

At 08:52 12/2/2003, you wrote:
I'm running RedHat9, I have sendmail running and I can send mail out.

What I'm inquiring about is what other services must I have running in order to get mail (email accounts) and what services I need in order for mail clients (like outlook,eudora...) to connect and retrieve email from my server.

Nothing to it. You should:

1. First set up sendmail to receive/accept connections from the network, and in order to avoid being abused by spammers you should also set up SMTP authentication (SMTP AUTH for short). I have a pretty good document on my website describing how to do this, step by step and with examples. Check it out at:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux/sendmail-smtp-auth-howto.html

2. Install is the latest updated "imap" package (probably named imap-2001-something) for RHL-9. This package will provide POP3 and IMAP4 services so your users can check mail on your machine.

3. Give your users accounts on your Linux systems and assign them passwords.

4. Make sure your firewall allows incoming connections to ports 25, 110, and 143.

Done. 10 minutes worth of work once you know what you're doing.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx