Re: Need help from an X guru!

> Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:
>
> >/var/log/messages entries when trying the startx:
> >

> The log entries didn't look like they had anything to do with X
> starting.  Remember that there is sometimes a delay writing syslog
> messages to disk.
>
> More importantly, I think you may be looking at the wrong file.  What do
> you find in ~/.xsession.*?

~/.xsession doesn't exist, but ~/.xsession-errors does:

No mail arrived since Apr 7 20:58
SESSION_MANAGER=local/mail.birdvet.org:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1129
Gnome-Message: gnome_execute_async_with_env_fds: returning -1
Window manager warning: Lost connection to the display ':0.0';
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the window manager.
The application 'rhn-applet' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'magicdev' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'gnome-panel' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'nautilus' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
The application 'gnome-terminal' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

Ben