Re: up2date fails due to space limitations in /boot

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 11:40:50AM -0500, Broadcast IT wrote:
> Thanks Bill.
>
> Here's the list I got from the command:
>
> [root@beer root]# rpm -qa|grep kernel
> kernel-2.4.7-10
> kernel-2.4.20-13.7
> kernel-2.4.20-20.7
> kernel-2.4.18-27.7.x
> kernel-headers-2.4.9-34
> kernel-2.4.18-19.7.x
> kernel-2.4.18-18.7.x
> kernel-2.4.20-18.7
> kernel-2.4.18-17.7.x
> kernel-2.4.18-17.7.x
> kernel-2.4.20-19.7
> [root@beer root]#
>
> I presume the more recent are numbered higher, so I'd want to keep 2.4.7-10
> and 2.4.20-20.7, but delete the rest or do I have that wrong?

Before you start deleting kernels, you should make sure that you're not
actually running that version of the kernel.  I've heard of a few people
that installed new kernels but were running an older one, and then
deleted the running kernel out from under themselves.

Display your active kernel:

$ uname -a

You essentially want to keep any useful kernels and delete the rest.  If
you are happy with the current and the most recent before that, go and
delete the rest.  Use, for example:
# rpm -e kernel-2.4.18-19.7.x

Keep the kernel-headers around even though the version hasn't changed.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts@xxxxxxxxxx