Re: OT: Compiling C on Unix

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 10:18:37AM -0500, Christian Campbell wrote:
> I know this is completely off topic...but I can't find help anywhere else,
> so I figured I would try here.

Actually, it's *worse* than off-topic, with SCO being distinctly
anti-Linux... >:-)

> I'm trying to compile gcc on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5.  When I run ./configure I
> get an error that it can't find "cc" in the path, and that I need a working
> C compiler.  If I had a working C compiler, I wouldn't be trying to install
> gcc.
>
> How do I solve the paradox?

The way I've solved it in the past on Solaris boxes was to use a
precompiled binary of gcc to bootstrap. It's been a while, but if I
remember correctly, there was a precompiled binary somewhere (for
Solaris), which could then be used to do a full install. I do not
know, whether this is also true for SCO.

Cheerio,

Thomas