Re: INIT ld "x" respawning too fast disabled for 5 minutes

On November 27, 2003 04:24 am, Brian Furey wrote:
> Hi Folks,
> i get the following error on my redhat 9.0 machine
> INIT ld "x" respawning too fast disabled for 5 minutes
> I used init 3 to change the runlevel from 5 to 3 and i can work on the
> command line.
> I can only work commands from root. Also i have to give the absolute
> path of the command. i.e. /bin/shutdown -now or /sbin/..
> How can i get gnome back?
> Can anyone give any suggestion of what might be wrong?
> Brian.
> p.s. i have done alot ofsearching on mailing lists already before posting
> this.

Hi Brian,
you can stat my editing /etc/inittab and changing:
id:5:initdefault:
to:
id:3:initdefault:

then you will only boot into runlevel 3 and you should have a regular
environment. Even changing to 1 then back to 3 should clean it up as it will
log you out leaving 1.

Now to test you can use "startx" and if X fails, your env should be intact.

As for starting X, I have seen that error before while setting up Xterminals
but can't recall what the cause was.
You may want to have a look at your /tmp for files like:
 .X0-lock
 .X1-lock

You can remove them if no X sessions or dispaly manages (login screens) are
running. If they do exist and your X is not running, that would stop it from
starting but I don't think that you would see a respawn message.

maybe someone else can pin point the respawn problem.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce