Editing the Applications menu on the default RH9 desktop

Hi,

  I want to edit/rearrange the launch icons on the Red Hat menu of the
default RH9 dsktop. I've tried using Nautilus and followed its
suggestions but the menus seem to be locked up by root. The attempts
I've made to copy or create new items either result in nothing or a
reply of 'Unsupported operation'.

   Coul anyone point me to any information on how this might be done
without too much fuss?

                                Best regards,
                                 Brett Carlson