Re: dual boot, usb hard drive

Fernando Cardenas wrote:

Hi,
Has anybody tried to have dual boot computer with Windows XP Pro and Linux
( Suse). I have two hard drives mirrorred with a Promise controller and
windows XP installed in it. Here is the twist, I would like to install
Linux(Suse 9.0) in an external USB hard drive and also make it dual boot. Is
This posible?
Please send me info about this.
thanks.

Fernando Cárdenas

If I understand what you are trying to do, then any motherboard with a decent chipset will boot the external device FIRST so you could have XP installed locally, and when you wish to run Linux, simply plug in the external device at boot up.

P.S. I HAVE done this with a bootable win98 partition on an external disk drive. It's actually a kinda cool feature. When a customer screws up his/her PC, I just bring my external HDD which is bootable, boot from it and fix the problems using the tools I've installed on the disk.

Regards,
Ed.