Horrible frame rate on Dell i8200 notebook with nVidia @ 1600 x 1200

I am seeing like FPS: 0.53 on the Gears screensaver.
This is a Gforce chipset.
I know the nVidia driver is loaded as I get the splash screen.

What am I doing wrong? I could swear this used to work a long time ago but
don't know what changed.

I am running the 4496 drivers from nvidia's site.

The only thing I can think of is I do have Vmware installed on the XP side
of my notebook, but I'm positive that I'm running the correct XF86Config-4
file (again, I get the nvidia logo, and I also have my vmware version set to
a smaller resolution to fit in a window on XP).

Oh, and semi-related to this, when the Dell 'blanks' the screen from the
bios settings, when it returns, my screen is HUGE. I only see the upper like
1/4 of it and allt he fonts are huge n stuff. Is there a way to fix that?