Re: SpamAssassin/Procmail/Webmin-Usermin

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Laurie Harper wrote:

> I have just recently set up a dedicated mailserver that I am working on
> getting configured. I currently have Spamassassin scanning all emails.
> Using Procmail to filter all messages over the spam threshold to the
> user's home directory. Now I need to figure out what to do with them
> from there. It would be really helpful to hear how others are handling
> this.
>
> Do you typically run a script to delete the messages after a certain
> period of time, or when the directory reaches a certain size? Do your
> users have a way to access/view the spam messages so they can retrieve
> potential false positives?

Under our system, users opt into SpamAssassin filtering.  When they do,
they install this as (or as part of) their personal procmail
configuration:

  #set on when debugging
  VERBOSE=off
  #VERBOSE=on
  #Replace `mail' with your mail folder directory
  MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
  #Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
  PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
  LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

  # Use SpamAssassin to examine all incoming mail
  :0 fw
  | /usr/local/bin/spamc

  # deliver "spam" messages to "myspam" folder
  :0:
  myspam
  # End of SpamAssassin recipe

(Replace "spamc" above with "spamassassin" if not using the daemonized
form of the program).

That is, all mail tagged as spam goes into a special mail folder in each
user's mail store where they can then examine it for false positives.  It
is also the user's responsibility to clean up that folder from time to
time to stay within disk quota.

This works for us because our users do not want to lose any mail, and many
are willing to put up with spam to ensure that no real messages are lost.

Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx