Re: User with root privileges

On Thursday, Nov 20, 2003, at 16:08 America/New_York, Richard Crawford wrote:

Before I get into this, allow me to add a disclaimer: I don't know why
this person wants to do this, I have advised them against it, I have told
them it's a security risk and just general bad practice, but they want to
do it anyway.

So.

This person wants to give their user account root privileges. I've never
encountered a need to do that, so I have no idea how it would be done.
usermod -G root doesn't seem to do the trick. Anyone have any
suggestions?

Sláinte, Richard S. Crawford (AIM: Buffalo2K)

Take a look at the sudo command. Use visudo to edit /etc/sudoers. If they want to be root, simply copy the line for root onto the next line, and insert their name instead (note you can limit what they can do as root too).

hth,
Jurvis LaSalle