Re: rsync and incremental file changes

> Mike McMullen wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a detail question on rsync. If you don't use --whole-file
> > how does rsync copy a file especially a binary or a large mail
> > box?
>
> I'm not sure the full purpose of --whole-file.  Maybe if you copy of lots
of
> teeny-tiny files, it may eliminate the wasted time of diff checks.  But
for
> large files, I don't see the point of using --whole-file.  And if the
> destination file doesn't exist, well rsync does a "whole-file" copy
anyway.

> rync just syncs bits by the divide and conqueror method regardless of the
> file being text of binary - it's really fast.
>
> Don't use --whole-file if you're doing syncs over slow wan links like a
T1.
> -eric wood

Hi Eric,

In our scenario we do have lots and lots of scanned tiffs and pdfs so
--wholefile on a private server network cut down on load. The main
reason for --wholefile was my concern over data corrupted if
incremental changes didn't work or more likely didn't work like
I thought it did.

I did some sample rsyncs to the off site server and pulled the data
over and verified that it was ok. Without --wholefile it flew over the T1
and the load wasn't bad enough for a long enough period for me to
be concerned.

Our data mix is thousands of tiff and pdf files under <100K and then
lots of fairly large mail folders. rsync with compression and incremental
changes worked perfect.

Thanks for your help on this. I guess I should unwind and let the Pure
Friggin' Magic in rsync do it's stuff!

Mike