Forcing password length for user

Hello,
Is there any way I can enforce so that the length of user's password is at
least 8 characters?
For example, I can create initial passwords for my users. But then if they
decide to change it using 'passwd' command, how do I enforce it that it has
to be longer than 8 chars ?

My second question would be, how to ban user from changing their password?
Should I remove the 'passwd' binary (or make it only executable by root.. to
be less exterme <g> ) ? (This is only for specific machine where I don't want
user to play around with their password for security purposes).

Thanks
RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja