Re: Duplicating identical systems(i.e. make the HDs the same)

>From: Marvin Blackburn <mblackburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: duplicating a system
..
>We will be getting several new systems to install.  Their installation and
>configuration
>will be nearly identical.  Same filesystems, same users, same policies etc.
>
>Is there an easy way to install and configure one system, then duplicate it
>on the others.
>(hardware will be the same).
>
>These are more than just intall options, there is some post installation
>configuration that
>needs to be duplicated also.
>
>------------------
>Marvin Blackburn
>Systems Administrator
>Glen Raven
>"He's no failure.  He's not dead yet" --William Lloyd George

You could install the first system, get everything setup (config the printer, network...)
Then attach the other HDs to the first system

use dd to copy /dev/hda to /dev/hdb /dev/hdc and/or /dev/hdd

You now have 4 identical drives.   Knowing a little about the geometry of the
disks you could add a count, block size and make the copy a bit faster.

Or, you could get a program like Norton Ghost(I think that is the one someone I worked with used)
to duplicate the disks.

Best regards.
Tony Preston
apreston at comcast.net