Re: mounting floppy as user in rh8

On November 17, 2003 01:21 am, Paal Marker wrote:
> How can I configure a redhat system to let common user mount the floppy?
>
> If user try to mount, message appears only superuser can use mount.
>
> /etc/fstab
>
> > LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
> > defaults        1 1
> > none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> > gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> > none                    /proc                   proc
> > defaults        0 0
> > none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs
> > defaults        0 0
> > /dev/hda3               swap                    swap
> > defaults        0 0
> > /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy         auto
> > noauto,users,owner,kudzu 0 0
>
> Search in google showed some documents about this problem, but found no
> solution. Have tried as suggested to replace user with users in the last
> line. Does not help.  In a slackware list it was mentioned that it
> existed an application for slackware that eliminated this problem, but
> found no more about it.
>
> The configuration shall be used for public in a library. Necessary for
> users to use own diskettes, and impossible to give them root access.
>
> How do I go around this problem?

Hi Paal,
You should have "user" but not "owner" (or users) in fstab

/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,user,kudzu 0 0

The reason your does not work (other than "users" instead of "user") is
because it also has "owner", which means the user must own the device
/dev/fd0. Unfortunately, using just "user" also means anyone can unmount
anyone elses floppy.

You will want to conside that if the user fails to umount the floppy, changes
will not be saved to it.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce