Re: mounting floppy as user in rh8

I found some reference in other discussion lists by googling, but does not seem fitting for my redhat8

Giving "systcl -w kern.usermount=1" should make me go around the problem with the mounting of floppy as user. But giving this command gives "kern.usermount is no valid key." systcl -a gives the output of the keys, the key kern.usermount is not listed at all. Wich linux distrubition the key kern.usermount was for I could not find out. Any idea wich key wich could do the same in rh8?

Paal Marker wrote:

How can I configure a redhat system to let common user mount the floppy?

If user try to mount, message appears only superuser can use mount.

/etc/fstab

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda3 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,users,owner,kudzu 0 0

Search in google showed some documents about this problem, but found no solution. Have tried as suggested to replace user with users in the last line. Does not help. In a slackware list it was mentioned that it existed an application for slackware that eliminated this problem, but found no more about it.

The configuration shall be used for public in a library. Necessary for users to use own diskettes, and impossible to give them root access.

How do I go around this problem?