Re: Preventing Prevention of core files

Sorry to have bothered everyone. I think that I've figured out what
was going on. The program in question is started (as root) via
/etc/rc5.d script. One of the first things it does is to setuid(2) to
a non-root user for security, in case there would be an exploitable
bug in the code.

Well, it seems that setuid(2) will prevent the process from
subsequently dumping core. I suppose that's a security precaution,
too. Of course, it does not bother to say what is required to
explicitly *un-do* that. I mean, I *want* to be able to make the
program dump core. There has to be a way to do it, otherwise no
non-root process would be able to dump core. Does it require an
exec()? Or, is there another call that can be made that would be good
enough to turn core dumping back on?

Thanks!

Ron.