Preventing Prevention of core files

Hello redhat-list,

I've got a "head scratcher" going here. I have a program. The program
does not do *anything* to affect the default behavior upon receipt of
a SIGQUIT. In my mind, when it receives a SIGQUIT, it should terminate
and dump core. I think it should probably put that core file in its
working directory.

If the "ulimit -c" value is not sufficient, I can see that it might
not create a complete core file, or perhaps not create one at all.

If the working directory is on a read-only filesystem, one that is
full, or one where the user is out of quota, I could see it not
creating a core.

None of this is the case. My program, running under RH 8.0, terminates
and dumps core when sent a SIGQUIT. The same program, running on
another Linux system (I think based on Debian, but with a 2.4.20
kernel) terminates but does not dump core. On that other system, I
have successfully sent SIGQUIT to a background "sleep 60" and seen it
dump core, so my hypothesis that there was some overriding system "do
not dump core" parameter getting in my way seems to be invalid.

Anyone have an idea as to what might be preventing the core file from
being created?

Thanks!

Ron.