Re: Anyone planning to use Fedora in production?

%% Hal Burgiss <hal@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

  hb> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:15:42AM -0500, Wade Chandler wrote:
  >> Yeah, so what is your flaming RH hate mail about again?  Is it Fedora or
  >> End Of Life cycle for old Enterprise Software?

I in no way flamed RH, nor did I say I hated it.  I think it's a pretty
decent distribution overall.  There are parts that annoy me, but parts
of Debian annoy me too.

I merely stated:

  * Debian existed before Red Hat.

  * Debian is more reliable in general than Red Hat.

  * Debian is a more stable, trivially upgradable distribution than Red
    Hat.

  * Red Hat has much more corporate acceptance than Debian.

I don't think anyone who has spent time administering or maintaining
both distributions will feel that these are inflammatory
positions... points 1 and 4 aren't even open to discussion: they're
facts.  The "trivially upgradable" point I don't think can be argued
with either.  So that leaves only the "stable/reliable" points, and I
don't know how anyone can say that Debian releases are not more stable
than Red Hat 5/6/7/8/9 overall.

That's not to say Red Hat doesn't trump Debian in other areas: the above
is not meant to be an exhaustive comparison between the two.  The points
of comparison were the ones the OP raised, not me.

  hb> You (or someone) snipped this:

  >> Well, maybe Debian, but it was way off the radar screen.

Yes: I was confirming that it not just "maybe" Debian existed in 1997,
but in fact "without question" Debian existed in 1997... not only that
but Debian existed before Red Hat did.

I also don't necessarily buy the "way off the radar screen"; it depends
on how you got started in Linux.  For example, LUGs were a popular way
to get your feet wet back then, when even the most user-friendly distros
required a healthy chunk of hand-holding for the uninitiated, and many
LUGs did and still do have lots of Debian users.

It was certainly not as well-known in the press and it didn't have boxes
in the local computer bookstores, that's true.

Cheers!