Re: compact flash help

On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 09:02, Mark Mc Nicholas wrote:
> Hi
> i'm new to the list and hope someone can help me i'm using RH9 now for a
> while now i have a usb compact flash reader writer and i have it set up
> added line to fstab and can read and write files to the cf card no
> problem where the problem is is when i go to unmount the device i get an
> error saying "umount: /mnt/flash: device is busy" i;ve tried this as the
> user who mounted the device and as root and still get the same error
> i've left the drive to idle still the same result and i need the device
> to umount since thats when it seems to actually write the files i
> figured this since there is a little led on top of the reader which
> lights when reading or writing and when i drag a file onto the card it
> flashes for a second but i have managed to umount it like 3 times and
> thats when it seems to stay lit for a while i can only guess it's
> actually transfering the files then can anyone help to get this device
> to umount as the only i can currently do it is when i shutdown my system
> and it unmounts all file systems
> thanks in advance

You say "when I drag a file onto the card".  Are you doing this under
gnome and are you dragging the file on a Nautilus window?  If so, you
may have to close nautilus.

The error you are seeing normally means some process currently has the
directory /mnt/flash/....open in some way or another.

You can user the command "fuser -uv /mnt/flash" to determine exactly
what user/process has the directory open.

Ed

--
"An opinion is like an asshole - everybody has one."
    - Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool - 1988.