Re: Mail error: reason: 550 5.0.0 You must use a valid mail server

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:43:41AM -0800, Paul Gillen wrote:
> Summarizing: Presumably RedHat (among others) rejects
> my email because the "reverse DNS" or "reverse IP"
> lookup of my SMTP host's IP does not resolve to my
> SMTP's DNS hostname.

That's common these days.  I do that myself with RBL checks like so:
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `sbl.spamhaus.org')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `bl.spamcop.net')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `dun.dnsrbl.net')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `blackholes.easynet.nl')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl', `dynablock.easynet.nl')dnl

I've blocked 28 messages so far this with the dynablock test.  Those
will have been 100% spam - nobody has ever complained that they couldn't
legitimately e-mail me.

> Your suggestion that I "set your sendmail to forward
> all outbound mail to {ISP's SMTP}" appears to be an
> acceptable solution although it is an "ISP dependancy"
> which I'd hoped to avoid.  When I figure out how to do
> that I'll probably be in good shape.

This is what I have in my sendmail.mc:

define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp:smtp.comcast.net')dnl

Sure - incoming and outgoing are totally different.  Look at ewilts.org
- I'm on a dynamic IP address yet receiving e-mail just fine.  In fact,
my anti-spam rules will reject mail from people like me who are on
dynamic IP addresses - they must relay through their ISPs.

> Again, just to push back the frontiers of darkness,
> presumably all of this is unnecessary when you have a
> real "assigned IP"?

Right.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA