Re: Mail error: reason: 550 5.0.0 You must use a valid mail server

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 03:43:41AM -0800, Paul Gillen wrote:
> Summarizing: Presumably RedHat (among others) rejects
> my email because the "reverse DNS" or "reverse IP"
> lookup of my SMTP host's IP does not resolve to my
> SMTP's DNS hostname.

You can get around the reverse dns problem with a dyndns.org (or
similar) dynamically assigned hostname. Say you register foo.dyndns.org
and run a client on your mailserver that updates the dyndns dns server
whenever your ip changes. Then you can set your mailserver to
foo.dyndns.org and reverse lookups foo.dyndns.org will always resolve to
the dynamically assigned ip of your mailserver. They also have a
paid-for service where you can use your own domain, i.e.
mail.mydomain.com.

Keep in mind that lookups on your ip will resolve to the hostname
assigned by your ISP. However the mail will still get through, provided
that your ISP isn't blocking outbound smtp traffic.

If your ISP is uncooperative, you can always use their mailserver as a
smarthost.