RE: IPTables and Squid with MSN

Hi Harish,

You need to investigate what’s called UPnP (Universal Plug ‘n’ Play).

I know that to get any File Transfer or Voice Communications working through MSN @ home I needed to update the bios of my router so that it would support UPnP. I don’t know exactly how you would work around this while still keeping the network secure when you are using a software firewall. I know there is a lot of debate about the security of UPnP in ANY implementation.

It’s mainly a problem with NAT, since there are a whole bunch of machines behind your single IP address, there is no way for a public machine to send a file to a local machine. You can’t simply do NAT port forwarding because different machines behind your firewall require that same port depending on who is receiving the file/voice transfer. Which is the whole reason that M$ created UPnP in the first place.

I hope that helps.

Donald