Re: help (OT, rm -rf /)

Richard S. Crawford wrote:

The one time I managed to hose a Solaris box, I did rm -rf /*.  Yep,
that killed it completely.  A truly spectacular day that was. Somehow, I
managed to keep my job.

This reminds me of when I did 'rm -f /*' on an SGI (note:, no -r flag). This effectively nuked the kernel, which is the only file in / anyway. Since the system was running out of memory, I moved into the kernel source directory, rebuild it, and rebooted. When it came up, it recognized that the kernel had been rebuilt and it continued it's own reconfiguring from EPROM, did the adding and removal of devices, set it's networking and password (those are all in EPROM), and about 45 seconds later, promptly rebooted again and came up without a hitch.

--
H| I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx> . 303.442.6410 x130
IT Director / SysAdmin / WebSmith . 800.441.3873 x130
Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc. . 3550 Arapahoe Ave. #6
http://www.pcraft.com ..... . . . Boulder, CO 80303, U.S.A.