Re: Printing Landscape in Linux.

On November 10, 2003 05:58 pm, dlangschied wrote:
> I have tried to send the output through a2pr and it has come though to the
> printer in landscape mode, but the printed portion of the page is still
> portrait.  It looks like hell!  I cannot conceive as to why it is so
> difficult to print something in landscape!  I am new to Linux and I am not
> completely happy with some of these types of things.  I am not a highly
> technical person when it comes to devices and this seems to create a lot of
> issues for me in Linux.  Tell me, Peter, do you know what the landscape
> codes are for HP?  I am not very good at this, but I absolutely need to get
> this landscape printing to work.  I need to get a form processed that has
> to be landscape.
> Any help would be great.

I don't know the landscape codes for HP (I print to HP's via tcp at home and
work with little probs, but my printing needs are prety basic).

Anyway, I imagine the problem with a2ps is that I forgot to tell you (sorry!)
to chage its defaults of printing 2 pages per sheet or landscape just looks
like 2 small pages side by side.
Maybe someone knows the command line for this, I have looked thru the man page
but can't find it,
so you can edit the /etc/a2ps.cfg file and change the lines:
# Two virtual pages per sheet

now "a2ps -r  some_file_name" should print landscape, properly. You may want
to try some of the many options for a2ps to format it with a title etc.

Sorry for the oversight!
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce