From: redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:redhat-list-admin@xxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of David Vazquez Guzman
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 5:33 PM
To: redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: looking for comments/reactions to the fedora project

> Well, my thoughts so far:
>
> - Debian based distributions, while fun to tinker with, are not a good

> server solution (IMO).  The apt-get package manager, while enjoyable,
> also is apt (excuse the pun) to get out of hand at times.  And
> Debian/Libranet's strength (tons of software) is also its weakness in
> the server room... too much choice.  It's nice having a distro that's
> been "professionally" pared down for non-hobbyist/non-desktop usage.
>
> - FreeBSD.  I'm a big proponent of all things *BSD, but this also
> falls short in terms of patch management.  While it's not a big deal
> for your average SysAdmin to patch from source, it's not an enviable
> task to automate.  And "build world" is not something your average
> server farm is going to place faith in.
>
> - RHPW.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of this to play with.
> While I appreciate Ed Wilt's rpm package listing, I note that some of
> it includes post-install stuff (mysql, for example), so it's hard for
> me to get a real glimpse of what RH is offering with this product.  I
> still think RH is head-and-shoulders above the competitors for
> non-hobbyist offerings, it's just going to take some time to get used
> to their changes.
>
> At this time, RHPW or RHWS is still in the lead for server
> installations.  The only thing holding me back from making a formal
> recommendation to my existing "community"-based clients is RH's
> indecisions regarding the future of RHPW.
>
> *** Please note, the opinions given above are just that... my
> opinions. I'm not an expert with Debian, so please withhold flames.
>
> --
> Jason Dixon, RHCE
> DixonGroup Consulting
> http://www.dixongroup.net
>

> --

What about  Suse and Mandrake, i know that Suse is got a good server
plataform and manndrake is very good in desktops, but is also good for
server plataform, how ever i'm concerned also mostly for the up2date
that as i understand is not aviable with fedora, or else what sould we
do with our production server once the up2date is gone.

        David Vazquez Guzman
        E-Mail:   dvazquez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        INSTITUTO BRILLAMONT
        San Pedro Garza Garcia, N.L.
        Tel y Fax: +52 (81)  8338 7464  y  8338 7465  Ext. 123
        Visite nuestro Home Page:
        http://www.brillamont.edu.mx