Re: RHEL ES v.3 and RHN

At 02:34 PM 11/8/2003, you wrote:
On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 01:58:11PM -0600, Steve Buehler wrote:
> At 01:26 PM 11/8/2003, you wrote:
> >On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 12:39:46PM -0600, Steve Buehler wrote:
> >> Not sure if I am missing something here or not. Can someone tell me why
> >> the RHEL ES v.3 doesn't have all of the packages available to it that
> >v2.1
> >> and other versions of RHL have available to them? When I setup a machine
> >> one of the first things I do after subscribing it to RHN is to do:
> >> up2date joe lynx
> >
> >lynx has been replaced with links (part of the elinks package). links
> >is much nicer in that it supports frames and https (plus ftp and telnet).
>
> Thanks Ed. Now I really have a headache. You now gave me two more
> packages that are not available in the RHEL ES v3 channel to add to the
> list along with "joe" and "lynx".

Now you confused me.  Which two packages?  I didn't mean that ftp and
telnet were pulled - I meant that links supports http, https, ftp, and
telnet.

links and elinks

> Are you running them on your RHEL ES 3
> box? If so, did you use up2date to get them? If so, does anybody know why
> RedHat pulled them back out of the channel for us to get using up2date?

elinks is in the RHEL WS 3 channel. I would expect it to be in ES too.

Nope, not in the ES channel. Wonder why?!?!

It's online in the sources directory:
lftp ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/3/en/os/i386/SRPMS> ls -l elinks*
-rw-r--r-- 6 ftp ftp 803397 Oct 21 19:59 elinks-0.4.2-7.src.rpm

Yea, but that kind of sucks because you can't use up2date to get it. Atleast not on ES 3.

The one package I miss in 3 is ncftp - it's been replaced by lftp, just
like it was in later releases of RHL.  I haven't decided if I want to
learn the differences in lftp or just go download ncftp.

Of course, the one package that's got everybody grumbling is
mysql-server.  It was pulled from ES and that really sucks.

hmm....you're right. mysql-server isn't in the ES 3 either.
Still wish that someone would know WHY RedHat took out these and other packages between ES 2.1 and ES 3. Seems the ones they took out are the ones that I want the most.

Steve