Network card nat detected ; trying "modprobe tulip" failed

sting sting wrote:

Hello,
I am using RedHat 9 .
(without any kernel patches).
I have a network card of MX (Macronix).
GENTO GPL-2001 mx 98715AEC
after I boot , there is no message in /var/log/messages
of identifying etherenet card.

Now, I saw on the Net that the tulip driver is the appropriate one.
So I tried:
insmod tulip
I get the following error:

init_module: no such device

I also tried adding
"alias eth0 tulip" ti /etc/modules.conf" and depmod -a
and modprobe tulip and I got the same error (init_module: no such device)

I googled the net and saw that insmod is problematic
in RH 7.3 ;

wasn't this solved on RH9 ?

what should I do ?

I've seen Macronix NICs before, and unfortunately drivers are very hard to find. I'd be very surprised if a Linux one even exists. In the Windows world, I had to find a special Macronix driver to make it work, no substitutes worked. I'm pretty sure the chipset on the card is developed in house at Macronix, and is not one of your main or more popular chipsets in use.

Google turned up nothing and the Macronix web-site is hopeless.

My opinion?

Just get a Linux compatible NIC. We're not talking lots of money here.

Regards,
Ed.