Re: Red Hat Professional Workstation

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

> On Thursday 06 November 2003 02:11 am, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > At 12:11 11/4/2003, you wrote:
> > >Red Hat Professional Workstation is not available directly from Red Hat.
> > >You can buy a subscription to Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS, but it's
> > >twice the price.
> >
> > I received an email from Red Hat recently offering ES at $350 for two years
> > (i.e. two years for the price of one). I don't know if a similar (temporary
> > and promotional) offer exists for WS.
>
> It does. I received an email on my RHN subscribtion account $179 WS for 2
> years. I'm debating whether to go for that or RHPW. Mainly because, well,
> after 2 years, do we want to still pay $179 / year? We don't really need
> phone/mail/web support, just security updates basically for our server.
>
> But since RHPW is technically WS, I'd think we can switch to RHPW after the
> second year and get the updates there, this is assuming RHPW lifecycle =
> WS's, and RHPW = WS even after 2 years of course.

According to the RH salesperson I spoke with, there is no renewal on the
one-year RHN subscription that comes with RHPW.  Obviously, the "life
cycle" is the same as RHEW, but you'll be supporting your own installation
with downloaded SRPM updates.  (That is, *if* this information is accurate
and *if* RH doesn't change the support model later.  I did add my voice to
those clamoring for a low-cost minimal-support subscription service that
could support SOHO users and independent developers.)

So for the next two years, I'd probably pick the RHEW half-price option,
then reveiw.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences