Re: Help Sought with Samba pseudo printer for PDF...

Anthony E. Greene wrote:

...snip script...

Wow! Good stuff. This might be "release 2" or "3" of this effort I'm undertaking.

Right now I'm just trying to get the "John Bright version" (JB's) and the LinuxMagazine working completely.

Good news to all following this thread...I *did* get JB's version working yesterday. In reading the Samba docs over again regarding Anonymous Printing (Chap. 8) I feared that in order for this to work I was going to have to make users for anyone that wanted to use this "printer".

Fortunately, I do not. I just want the user to add the printer via standard Windoze dialogs. Seems the default configuration of Samba uses a passdb backend that, I understand, expects user accounts in some fashion. One line apparently got the "printer" to work:

passdb backend = guest

I had all the other options configured per JB's article.

The LinuxMagazine article is a little more elegant, but I can't get it to work. It continues to spit out PostScript fragments of 321 bytes.

Since I'm just trying to get a "PDF creation printer" up I might beta release this for the moment. Then investigate Anothony Greene's excellent script as an "enhancement."

I'll follow up on my progress. Thank you to all how have been leaving tips and "string" to help me thru the maze.

Tim