Re: LDAP on Linux

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 04:10 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
Ken Rossman wrote:
Can anyone tell me at what point (which RH Linux release) LDAP became
widely available to use as an information resource?

Looks like it was during RHL 6. It's hard to find a complete RH mirror to be more accurate than that.

That's plenty far back. My client is running RH7.x and I don't want to have to upgrade him just to be able to run LDAP. I already have to upgrade his Sun machines (but that's actually going to be a good thing in the end).

Also, can /etc/nsswitch.conf make use of LDAP resources?

Yes.

Great!

If one is to believe the comments in that file, then LDAP does not
appear to play a role at all in /etc/nsswitch.conf switched services.

That's probably because the LDAP NSS module isn't part of glibc.
It's developed by PADL, and included by Red Hat in the nss_ldap package.

Ah, OK, of course! Forgot about the PADL stuff...

Is this enabled for general lookups already, or would there be a bit here
or there that I'd need to flip ahead of time?

Thanks!!
Ken